Monday 23 June 2008

kidz in the hall + atmosphere + brother ali



Ok I am not too much of a fan of KOKO, but free shit is good shit right? (thanks James!) and I am most definitely an Atmosphere fan and I have grown to like Brother Ali.

Rewind to the last Atmosphere - Brother Ali gig at Koko last year, was hyped, been to all the last Atmosphere shows, so yeah I'm a fan right? had not heard Brother Ali's material back then so just knew he was hyped but was unknown ground to me. Lots of kids up in the place, felt mad old (yeah yeah, I know I am, thanks amelia, shan, cav, et al). The sound was pretty bad, I mean I couldn't really make out the words on Atmosphere songs I knew! And Brother Ali was just a big shouty mess to me. The only track of his I could understand was the acapella. Anyways to say I wasn't feeling it and was disappointed and felt like I wasted my money was an understatement.

So I had mixed feelings about going this time, no that's not true, i was not prepared to pay for a ticket and had no intention of going, then i get the hook up and figure what the hell, it would be rude not to.



Got there a bit early, alone, nothing happening yet. Met my boy, he introduced me to some girls then went to do his biz, girls had heard kids in the hall and liked them, i couldn't really comment. was kinda impressed with the back up mc/dj/sampler/drummer Double-O and his multi tasking on mic, laptop, sampler, drum pad and the mc Naledge definitely has skills, not quite sure if they had enough fans in the room to make their energetic show work as well as it would in say a smaller venue, later at night. but hey they were pretty good and brought it home at the end. "put both hands up! like the police told you..."



Ok so on the the main act...

Now like I said, I'm a fan, i must admit midwest male 30s angst rap talks to me, but was disappointed with the last show and KOKOs sound bites in my opinion. by now i had met up with fellow guestlisters, LOOKOUTS! door girls friend and flatmate, who both were kind enough to remind me that I'm old. what's up girls? chill. at least men look good ageing... psych!

Anyways what can i say... I haven't heard the new lp too much, and I do like all the old stuff, so I couldn't exactly sing along but the sound was most definitely better, slug and brother ali seem to have a better synergy on stage now, as opposed to ali just supporting atmosphere they did a mix of atmosphere songs, ali stuff giving shine to each other and backing up each other when needed.

I could actually make out what ali was saying this time and having listened to his lp was appreciating it much more, Uncle Sam Goddam was dope live... welcome to the united snakes...



Slug did finish with Trying To Find A Balance which is a favourite of mine...



So yeah, go beg, borrow, steal or hell, even buy these lps...

Legal free shit cos them boys got it like that...

Atmosphere has decided to leak the lead single off of their upcoming full length album, "When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold" for your listening pleasure. Download it. Share it. Pass it around.

Slug says;

"as a way to thank all of our supporters, ant and i have put together this party favor.

it's called "strictly leakage." thirteen songs to chase away the winter doldrums.
free and downloadable at either of these links:

Rhymesayers.com (Right Click and Save as...)
zshare.net (Mirror)

it's great for first dates, crappy houseparties, or to play in the backround while you google yourself again.

is downloadable a word? what's a doldrum?

nonetheless, thank you for the love, and please have a happy safe holiday.

oh yeah, i almost forgot, "sad clown bad winter 11" is available now, and a new album from atmosphere, "when life gives you lemons, you paint that shit gold" will be available on april 22, 2008."

and for those of you in a breeding way, check the deluxe edition which includes a 40 page gold embossed hard cover book featuring an illustrated children's story written by Slug. Hell I may have to buy one for my collection of hip hop crossover kids books, already got Qberts and Kid Koala's, who'da thunk it!

No comments: